by Eric Lendrum
A new poll indicates that an overwhelming majority of Americans, including majorities of black Americans and Hispanic Americans, are in favor of stricter voting ID laws and other measures to combat voter fraud, according to Breitbart.
The poll comes from the Honest Elections Project (HEP), and its results were detailed in a memo sent to members of Congress by HEP’s executive director Jason Snead. The memo was sent to Congress in anticipation of Wednesday’s hearing in the Senate Rules Committee over H.R. 1, a bill that has passed the House and now faces the Senate, which proposes numerous radical changes to election laws and procedures on the federal level.
According to HEP’s poll, 77 percent of overall respondents support legislation that requires voters to show some sort of photographic ID before casting a vote, with only 15 percent in opposition. Of this total, 92 percent of supporters are Republicans, 75 percent are independents, and 63 percent are Democrats. Along racial lines, 64 percent of black Americans and 78 percent of Hispanic Americans support such laws, as opposed to only 22 percent and 16 percent opposed, respectively.
H.R. 1 contains numerous radical changes to election law, including legalizing mail-in voting in all 50 states, even though the practice is widely criticized and highly susceptible to voter fraud. Various practices that were implemented almost unilaterally in key states in the 2020 election, including mail-in voting, ballot-harvesting, and ballot drop-boxes, led to widespread voter fraud and overwhelming evidence of irregularities that most likely shifted the results of the election away from President Donald Trump and in favor of Joe Biden.
As such, the bill has come under heavy fire from Republicans, who unanimously opposed it in the House. All but one Democrat in the lower chamber supported it, and it now needs at least 60 votes in the Senate in order to pass.
– – –
Eric Lendrum reports for American Greatness.