Man Arrested After Homemade Bomb Detonated in Michigan High School

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

 

A man has been arrested after a student detonated a homemade explosive Newaygo High School Monday.

“33-year-old David Robert Daniel Saylor was charged Tuesday with one count of manufacture or possession of Molotov Cocktail and one count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor,” WZZM reported. “Saylor is also charged as a habitual offender.”

Star News Education Foundation Journalism ProjectSaylor’s son, 16, allegedly detonated the explosive at the high school, injuring himself, four classmates, and a teacher, the Michigan State Police (MSP) said. He reportedly lost both thumbs in the incident, and was taken to a nearby hospital. He is expected to be released soon, and Child Protective Services (CPS) has reportedly been notified.

It is unclear whether the juvenile will face charges.

The school reportedly thought the device to be a firework when it detonated Monday, filling the hallways with smoke. It was evacuated while a bomb squad searched the premises.

Investigators learned that the father-son duo had been making explosive devices for a period of months in their Brooks Township home.

Monday evening into Tuesday, Saylor’s residence was searched by a bomb squad, the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco, and Explosives (ATF), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which found several more explosive devices and safely detonated them.

WZZM’s Alana Holland reported from the scene:

“Twice in the last half hour, we have heard someone shout, ‘Fire in the Hole,’ followed by an explosion like this. The bomb squad is still on scene, where additional explosive material has been found. We know at least some of these materials have been safely detonated,” she said.

Despite the serious nature of the incident, Newaygo’s police chief said that the explosives were not designed for malicious purposes.

“It was an isolated incident and not intended to hurt people we do not believe, it’s under investigation, so we have new facts coming in, but it was not something they intended to have happened,” Police Chief Georgia Andres reportedly told 9&10 News.

– – –

Pete D’Abrosca is a contributor at The Michigan Star and The Star News Network. Follow Pete on Twitter. Email tips to [email protected]

 

 

 

 

 

 

Star News Education Foundation Journalism Project

Related posts

Comments