Gov. Gretchen Whitmer extended an executive order last week that temporarily suspended certain requirements relating to the youth work permit for Michigan workers.
The order allows suspends applications “to the extent it requires an application of a work permit to be made in person,” according to the order. It allows applications to be submitted by mail, email, fax or a web-based form.
Youth work permits allow minors under the age of 18 to obtain work in the state. Although there are separate permits for minors under 16 and minors over 16, the order also suspends the requirements that the colored paper of the respective permits need to be distinct from each other.
The order is set to end on July 3.
“Young people throughout Michigan are a vital part of our workforce and economy. As summer begins, it is important to ensure they can still have the opportunity to work with the proper credentials and permits.” Whitmer said in a statement. “This extension comes at an opportune time, as regions of our state continue to safely reopen. We must all continue to be smart in the workplace and in our daily lives to protect Michiganders from the spread of COVID-19.”
Whitmer’s office said that young Michigan workers make up an “important part of the summer workforce,” especially as the pandemic requires workers stay home.
Whitmer has recently allowed more of the state to open, moving Michigan from Phase 3 to Phase 4 in her MI Safe Start Plan. Retail was allowed to reopen on June 4, while restaurants were allowed to reopen on June 8.
Michigan also saw a drop in unemployment claims recently as the state recently saw more than 1.7 million people file for unemployment insurance in the state. Michigan saw a little more than 41,000 people file unemployment insurance in the week ending May 30, down more than 20,000 from the previous week.
Read the full executive order here.
Jordyn Pair is a reporter with The Michigan Star. Follow her on Twitter at @JordynPair. Email her at [email protected]